A school district in Colorado recently said that a large-scale disease outbreak forced all of its schools to temporarily close. In a statement posted on its website on Wednesday morning, Mesa County Valley School District 51 – Colorado’s 14th District, with more than 22,000 students – announced that it will close more than 40 schools until after the Thanksgiving holiday, due to the high infectious gastrointestinal disease.
The statement said that the conclusion was activated after more than a dozen schools began reporting that the absence rate was above average, which is extraordinary because the region has never had to close all schools in the area because of the disease. D51 Care Coordinator Ms. Tayna Marvin said in a statement: “We are taking this particularly unusual action because the virus is extremely contagious and spreads rapidly in our schools.” “Also, it seems that there is a second type of related virus that is distressing students, some of whom have been sick in recent weeks. The mixture of these two viruses has caused an unprecedented spread of disease. The specific disease that makes students and faculty feel uncomfortable is not known. However, Mesa public health officials said in a statement issued to Twitter that it “acts much like a Norovirus. Norovirus is a gastrointestinal disease and is sometimes called “winter vomiting bed bug.” It usually causes nausea, stomach pain, vomiting, and diarrhea, and is easy to spread. A common way to spread the virus is to get in close contact with the infected person. This is direct or indirect, such as shared bathrooms, dormitories or other public spaces.
More specifically, the virus is spread by feces and vomit. Mesa County public health officials said in a statement, there have been multiple vomiting incidents in public places in schools. Lee-Ann Jaykus, head of science at NoroCORE, a food safety program, told Fox News in the US: It takes only a few viral particles to make people sick.